Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Acknowledging Your Elders.

In Japan, it is extremely important for individuals to acknowledge their elders. It shows respect, therefore, it is disrespectful if it is not done. You do not have to be between a specific age range to be considered an elder though. If there is anyone whom is younger than you, then you would be an elder to them. [Sorry if that kind of seemed confusing]. The term or word, "Gozaimasu," is used to acknowledge one's elders, it does not and is not added to every thing that a person says though, only certain words or phrases, such as good morning, and thank you. In the mornings, when I arrive to class, before I enter, I bow down and say, "Ohayo Gozaimasu," which means "Good Morning." But, take note of the "Gozaimasu." It is used, indicating that my Japanese Teacher is older than me, [But of course, who would not know that], but it also conveys my respect towards her. If I were to not say "Gozaimasu," I'd probably get scold at, well something like that. It just shows disrespect.

No comments: